A Glimpse Of My Life


It is a rainy day here. The gentle rain has been falling steadily most of the day. It's exactly what our fields and gardens were thirsty for!

This afternoon my sister and I borrowed our brothers' rain ponchos and headed out to the garden to dig some potatoes for supper. I steamed them and tossed them with butter, salt, and pepper. I served them with a spicy sausage cheese sauce. I also baked a pan of hot cinnamon rolls with caramel frosting ( a perfect way to spend a rainy afternoon!) and put together a bowl of 3-bean salad.

As we sat down and began to eat, my dad mentioned that the salad sure tasted good, but it was different. He asked what I had done differently. I was rather perplexed as I was SURE the only thing different I had done was use red beans instead of kidney beans and that wouldn't change the taste a bit. I had noticed the salad tasted strangely sweet, but figured it just hadn't been refrigerated long enough for the flavors to meld. Then my dad said it tasted as if there was less vinegar in it than usual. But how could that be? I had used the same amount as I always had - 1/2 cup!

Just to play it safe, I rose from the table to check the vinegar bottle. Sure enough, the label said "distilled white vinegar". But one sniff told me it was NOT vinegar! It was then I noticed the sediment on the bottom of the bottle. It was water... rain water collected from past rain storms to use on our plants and flowers! EKKKKKK!

I felt bad, but my family had a huge laugh over it! I just pray that no one will get sick tonight. I'll be able to breath better tomorrow when we all wake up healthy!

So now you know what an awesome cook I am! :-)

2 comments:

Oh dear,this is so funny! : ) Don't worry;I've done my fair share of strange things in the kitchen : ) ( well,everywhere for that matter lol )

August 9, 2008 at 8:39 PM  

Hopefully, I'll do better next time! :-)

August 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home